Breakfast is by far my favourite meal of the day. Before I started my vegan adventures I enjoyed a savoury breakfast of eggs and either smoked salmon or chorizo and some yummy veg. I had eggs almost every day. I must admit I do miss eggs, mostly because they were such a quick and easy addition to any meal of the day.
Now I am all about a sweet breakfast with lots of maple syrup, mmmmmmm!! My go to breakfast seems to be oats of some kind whether its overnight oats, porridge or homemade granola. All of these are a great start to the day but I do a lot of morning workouts so I wanted to try a quinoa breakfast as it is high in protein which is great for muscle recovery.
This recipe is super satisfying and keeps you full until lunch. The cashews make the milk really creamy and make this breakfast the perfect combination of protein, carbohydrate and good fats after a morning workout!
½ cup of quinoa
1 cup boiling water
3 large strawberries
Small handful of cashews
100ml milk alternative of your choice
- Cooking the quinoa in a pan with the water until most of the water has gone.
- Meanwhile blend the strawberries with the cashews and milk until it is smooth.
- Add the strawberry milk to the pan and heat gently along with half the banana sliced.
- Simmer until it becomes a porridge like consistency.
- Serve and top with the remaining banana, some blueberries and a drizzle of maple syrup.