I absolutely love Mexican Food. I think I love it so much because I don’t ever feel like I am missing out. So much of it is naturally Gluten Free anyway, like the corn chips and corn wraps which can be used for tacos or fajitas. It is also so fresh and a great combination of protein, carbohydrate from the wraps and good fats from the avocado if you have it with a generous helping of guacamole, which I always do!
A few weekends ago my husband and I decided to make our own brunch. I wanted a Mexican brunch but we didn’t want to spend the money. Our wedding was only 5 months ago and I have been bridesmaid twice this year so we need to start saving some cash again. We decided to make our own Mexican Feast so made fajitas, tacos and a huge Mexican dip to go with it. I think I actually ended up spending more on all the food I bought than it would have cost for the brunch but we had some amazing leftovers for the next day! We cracked open some bottles of Prosecco and had a great day!
Some of my favourite restaurants in Dubai are Mexican. Maya, Loca and Toscana are all great for those on a Gluten Free diet. They are really aware and have Gluten Free Wraps too. I love having the guacamole made fresh at the table, yum! I will be sure to write a post next time I am there to let you know about all the Gluten Free options. The main things you need to watch out for are the wraps which will usually be wheat flour wraps if they are the soft wraps which used for fajitas, enchiladas and quesadillas. I would also make sure to check the seasoning as some spice mixes can contain flour so always be sure to ask rather than assume that the seasoning will automatically be Gluten Free. Better safe than sorry as there is nothing worse than accidentally eating Gluten!
When it comes to having Mexican food at home these chicken fajitas are our go to Thursday night dinner to start off the weekend as it’s a really quick and easy option but tastes so good! I prefer to make my own fajita spice mix. The ones you find in the supermarket can be full of salt.
4 chicken breasts
1 large brown onion
1 large red pepper
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
Juice of 1 lime
½ tbsp olive oil
An iceberg lettuce or gluten free wraps (I use Bfree Quinoa and Chia wraps)
- Combine the spices, lime juice and olive oil to make a paste. Add more lime juice or oil if it is too thick.
- Dice the chicken and mix in with the chicken. Leave to marinate if you have time but if not that is OK too.
- Cut the pepper and onion into strips.
- Heat some oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion and peppers until they start to soften.
- Remove the peppers and onion and add the chicken to the pan until it is cooked through.
- Add the peppers and onion and cook for 5 minutes
- Serve with lettuce or gluten free wraps and add in fillings of your choice. I tend to go for some homemade guacamole, salsa and I like to have some cherry tomatoes, spinach and kale in my wrap too.