Although Chia seeds are small they are packed full of vitamins and minerals. Like flax seeds, they are a source of omega 3 fatty acids. They are also high in fibre and protein so it really is worthwhile including them in your diet!
The great thing about chia seeds is that when they are left for a few hours or overnight they take on a jelly like consistency meaning they are ideal to add to fruit to turn it into a jam without all the sugar used in conventional jam. It is so quick and easy to make. When it comes to making a berry jam I prefer to use defrosted frozen berries as once they defrost they have more liquid in them than fresh berries. For this jam I opted for frozen blueberries but I have used fresh mango in the past to make a jam which is so yummy too so I have done a recipe for both. I tend to have the jam with porridge or overnight oats.
I love jam but it is full of refined sugar so it is definitely not something you want to be having every day! It’s great on toast, scones, porridge and oats, yummmm!! So it was time to make a healthy alternative.
Blueberry Chia Jam
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon chia seeds
2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Place the frozen blueberries in a bowl and leave to defrost.
- Once completely thawed mash the berries up with a fork (you can also blend them but I prefer to have some berry pieces instead of a smooth jam).
- Add in the chia seeds and maple syrup and combine.
- Put the contents into a sealed container such as a Tupperware or Mason jar overnight in the fridge.
- Enjoy with breakfast, on toast or with a spoon straight from the jar!
Mango Chia Jam
1 cup fresh mango
1 tablespoon chia seeds
Maple syrup if you want to make it sweeter but I find mango is sweet enough
- Remove the mango meat from the skin and stone and put it in a blender.
- Squeeze the juice from the orange into the blender with the mango. Depending on how juicy the orange is you might only need half. You just want enough juice for it to blend.
- Put the puree in a Tupperware or a Mason jar, mix in the chia seeds and store in the fridge overnight. Alternatively you can leave out the chia seeds and enjoy the mango puree on fruit, ice cream, oats and lots of other things too.
My next experiment is going to be to make an oat tray bake which I can top with jam. Stay tuned! I will post it after some experimenting!